So my friend you hit send button and now feeling regret or maybe thinking about “F” word. Well we all have situations where we accidentally cliq on reply to all, or sent something which we shouldn’t. Don’t worry I will tell you how you can undo send or recall sent email.
- To Undo a Sent Email in Gmail follow below instructions:
- Login to your Gmail account and cliq on the gear icon in the top-right corner and select Settings.
- In the General Tab of settings, you should see Undo Send listed on the tenth number.
- You need to enable it, for that check the box next to Enable Undo Send.
- Now pick a length of time you’d like to have the ability to recall sent emails from the drop-down option. You will see 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds
- Select the length what makes you feel comfortable.
Gmail doesn’t allow you to recall sent email if receiver has already received it (even if it is unread). So basically it holds the email for the time which you chose and then sends the email. You have a maximum time of 30 seconds to think if you have send something which you really didn’t mean to, you can recall it.
- To recall sent emails in Microsoft Outlook:
In Microsoft Outlook you have a freedom of not just recalling sent email but also replacing it with a revised email.
To recall a message or email, follow below steps:
- In your Mail, go to the Navigation Pane and cliq on Sent Items.
- Open an email that you want to recall.
- On the Message tab, there is a group by the name of “Move“, cliq “Actions“, and then cliq Recall This Message.
- Cliq Delete unread copies of this message.
To replace your sent message with a revised or new message you need to follow above 3 steps and then instead of cliqing on “Delete unread copies of this message” you need to cliq on “Delete unread copies of this message and replace with a new message“. Once you make the desired changes then hit send.
- To recall sent email in Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail.com)
Unfortunately, you cannot. This option is not available for Microsoft’s web based email services, meaning any email having an account with outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com or msn.com cannot avail this service. Once you send an email message, it’s gone from your email server and out of your hands.
- To recall sent email from Yahoo Mail or YMail
Unfortunately emails sent from Yahoo Mail or YMail cannot be recalled once they are send from your end.
- To recall sent email in AOL Mail or AIM Mail
Yes, you can recall a message in AIM Mail or AOL Mail but there are two conditions- first is that the recipient should also have AOL or AIM screen names (usually email addresses ending in aim.com or aol.com) and second is that message has not been open by the recipient.
To take back an email you sent in AOL:
- Select the Mail from the Sent Mail option in AOL Toolbar.
- Highlight the email you want to recall.
- Cliq the Unsend button.
Please Note- Unsending emails is currently not available in AOL desktop software.
In my opinion, I would suggest you all please concentrate and keep calm when sending important emails, do not send in a rush. I know sometimes you want to reply instantly because person on the other end hurt you by his message but remember sending an email is a very powerful tool and it needs to be used very cautiously.
Some online experts advise that if you use drafts to save your email before sending them out it can avoid preventing the need to recall emails. Email providers such as Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail automatically saves your message you’re working on to the Drafts folder until you finish it and send it.
This feature also protects your mails against an interruption in power or internet connectivity. You can easily access your saved draft messages by cliqing Drafts in the Mail toolbar or Navigation column.
Remember the Golden rule of email-
“Think before you hit send”